Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Snow in the desert.

Before we venture into today's weather let me elaborate on the Winds of Change post. Our poker room manager has announced his retirement. His pending retirement was a well kept secret and when the job posting went up all sorts of thoughts went through my mind. Thankfully the most sinister of them proved unfounded. A simple retirement by a retirement-aged man. Nothing more, nothing less. I will always be thankful that he took a chance on me. I had no poker experience and have often marveled at the fact that I was handed what was arguably the most coveted poker dealing job in Las Vegas. I still laugh when I think about something he said to me when had been on the job for a year and a half. Wayne, you have become an "adequate" dealer, he said. He is a man of few words and coming from him I took it as a huge compliment. I am positive that is how he intended it.
Gene, sincere best wishes on your retirement!
When I got up on Tuesday morning, I thought to myself that it seemed really dark outside. The blinds were closed, but at 11AM it is usually much brighter. I didn't take the time to peek outside. I jumped in the shower, dressed and headed out the door for work. When I opened the door I was stunned to see SNOW. Ten days ago the forcast was for snow, but I never saw any in my little corner of the world. Today it was really putting it down. As I drove the six miles to work it changed to rain and when I pulled into the employee lot it wasn't even raining.
The temperature was 44 degrees, so what did come down didn't last long.
Notice that the tree is in bloom. The white streaks are snow. I guess the camera couldn't decide what to focus on, so that accounts for the blurry photo. The other two pictures were taken from inside the car.
Someone said today that the temp was to reach the 80's by Thursday. I won't be too long until it is 115 degrees for weeks on end.
Such is life in the desert.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter Listed on BlogShares