Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Hate?

I can probably count on one hand the things/people that I hate. Mostly I really dislike some people or things.
People who ignore warning signs and race to the front of the lane that is closing only because they truly believe that they are entitled to get one car length in front of you? Sorry about your luck pal. If I get there, in the proper lane, before you, you are NOT getting in front of me. Annoyance? Yes. Hate? No.
The flea player who expects the poker world to revolve around and cater to them? This one is borderline, but it's more likely that I pity them rather than hate them.
Experiencing a visit to the dentist that includes fillings? This, my friend, is true hatred. I effing HATE HATE HATE it!
That was my day on Wednesday. I get in the chair, insert earbuds and crank the music. The dentist is relegated to hand signals. I don't want to hear her or the demonic shrill drone of the drill. She assures me that she doesn't mind the MP3 player and should I have any problems/discomfort I should just raise my left hand. Listen, honey, I am already experiencing discomfort. I'm sitting in a dental chair, comprendezvous? If I keep my left hand in the air for 90 minutes it just may fall off and I sort of need BOTH arms/hands to do my job. I'll just keep them both in my lap or better yet I'll grasp the arms of the chair so tightly that my imprints stay there forever, that work for you? Alrighty then.
She then jabs/probes/pokes with the needle. Just kill me now, ok? It's not a fear of needles. I can abide that straw sized needle they use when you donate blood. No problem. But then again, they don't wiggle that needle around (unless the whatever you call a vampire masquerading as a Red Cross worker has a really bad technique- even then I give them two tries and usually a third try by another vampire. Three srikes, your out and I'm outta there). After an eternity of needle pricks she pleasantly informs me that she will be back in 10 minutes by holding up all 10 fingers. I want to give HER 10 fingers one finger at a time if you know what I mean.
Later, she waltzes back in and I have a problem. A big enough problem that that I remove the earbuds. Ahh, I don't feel the least bit numb. Huge choice here. Take the drill commando or endure the needle again. Nice choice, don't you think. I've done it both ways. Years ago I chose the no needle route. Pleasant, uhh, NO, but at least when it was over, it was over. It eliminates the drooling afterwards. Today, I'm weak. I ask for the needle again. More torture. And then she starts drilling immediately after the second round of novacaine. By the time she is done drilling, I'm actually starting to get numb. Good timing, eh? I inform her that I'm now totally numb, but she is done drilling. She quips that maybe she should do more drilling now. Uh, no thanks, just get it done and me out of here NOW, please.
I throw out a question about gas-nitrous- and the possibility of using it everytime instead of the needle. Maybe I should have asked this at the beginning of the visit. She says something about the legality of using is every time, but that she indeed has patients who go this route. It takes the "edge off" she says. Uh, no shit, right?
I have one more scheduled visit. I plan to beg/bribe/plead for the gas. Controlled substance, take me away.
Did I mention that I HATE the dental experience?
******
During the last two days I have been dealing to/with a group of 28 guys who are in town for a bachelor party. They drift in and out of the poker room. Some playing, some watching, some checking in between the pool and pit games. A few of these guys actually toked once in awhile. A much smaller group (2 of them) toked well. Today I'm dealing to a table that contained 3 of these guys, including the 2 above average tokers. I deal a high hand to the other one. While we are waiting on the high hand jackpot to be delivered one of the chosen 2 states to the high hand winner "Don't forget your dealer". Out of the corner of my mouth I tell the chosen one that I think I love him. Yesterday, to my knowledge, jackpot winner didn't toke at all. Hey, we all need a tip shill once in awhile. Get those visions of wealth out of your head. I got $3. It's $3 more than I expected.
*****

If things in my little corner of the poker world get any slower, they may as well not exist at all. Don't get me wrong, the money per hour is still great. The problem is getting the hours in. Today (Saturday) I, again, work 5 hours. There was a time that I jumped at any chance of an EO. No longer. I want my hours damnit. I am supposed to be full time, right? The transition to new management is well underway. Visible changes are NOT.
I feel twinges of sympathy for the extra board dealers who are about to have their hours drastically cut or their positions eliminated. What other options are there at this point in time? Not many, I assure you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter Listed on BlogShares