Thursday, March 24, 2005

If murder was legal..........

Tuesday night as I was standing behind table 1 waiting to push, I watched the dealer put an Ace high rainbow straight on the board. The proverbial nuts were on the board. It was down to three handed. The first player bet out and immediately the player in the 7s started scolding him for betting and announced that the board was unbeatable, that it was a split pot. The dealer remained silent. The second player raised. The 7s continued her rant. The delaer remained silent. Not able to remain silent, I got the attention of the 7s and informed her that she should NOT be discussing the possibilities (as seemingly obvious as they were). The third player hesitated and I really thought that he was going to muck his hand. The light finally went on and he called as did the player who originally bet out. The silent dealer chopped the pot three was and moved on to the next game. As I was settling in, I informed the table that discussion of the hand should not happen and I told them that they would probably be shocked to know how often players tossed a winning hand into the muck. Maybe they were drawing to a straight and missed the fact that they made a flush etc etc. Don't remind them what to look for. I must have been talking to the hands, because the ears weren't listening. During most of my down I continued to ask the players not to discuss the possible hands. The young man in the 2s was the biggest offender. After asking him three times to cease and desist, he asked me if it was a hard and fast rule. I simply told him that poker etiquette would suggest that he should not do it. A few hands later the shift supervisor was walking by my table and I casually asked him to weigh in on the subject. He stated that it was proper etiquette not to do it. Things settled down a little and my down was coming to an end. During my last hand I flopped a pair of 6s and put a 6 on the river. Sure enough, the dealer who was waiting to push me chimed in with a "Look at that! Three 6s. I wanted to jump up and choke the living shit out of her! lol Oh well, I moved on to the next game shaking my head....................

****************************

Wednesday afternoon, as soon as I stepped foot into the poker room, the shift manager/schedule maker asked me if I wanted to pick up an extra shift and come to work on Thursday night...... Under normal circumstances, I turn down these offers. These not being normal circumstances, I accepted his offer. I am in the process of moving and will need to buy some furniture. Most of the time, for me at least, it is not all about the money. This time it was. As usual, I lived to regret it.
I was dealing a $2-5 blind NLH game. One player bet, another went all in for $5 LESS than the full raise, the next player called and the player who originally bet then went all in. I must have been brain dead. I announced the second all-in and the caller stuck in the middle folded. No one said a word. Once I had finished my down, a player who was not involved in the hand (I'll call him Bill) came up to me, put his arm around my shoulder and told me the error of my ways. As soon as he started to tell me what my error was, I instantly knew what I had allowed to happen. I can never figure out whether Bill thinks I am the King of the Morons or the son that he never had. In this case, I believe that he was trying to be helpful and I was closer to the son than the moron.........BUT, why wait until my down was over? When I screw up, I want to know about it right then and there. Had he immediately said something, maybe I could have stopped the caught-in-the-middle player from mucking his hand. Water under the bridge. My bad.

********************

I spent today moving a bunch of "little" stuff and thinking about how nice it will be to finally have my own place. Since I moved to LV about 18 months ago I have been renting a room in a large 5 BR 4 Bath, very nice house. The only problem is that I had lived alone for 16 years and had become accustomed to the solitude. For the past year and a half I have shared a home with 4 other adults, two dogs, two cats and an aquarium full of fish. This arrangement has served it's purpose, but it is time for me to once again go it alone. I hope to never again live with cats! I'm just not a cat person I suppose.

Time to catch some ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ. Still lots of stuff left to move tomorrow.......and some furniture shopping to be done.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter Listed on BlogShares