Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Lunar Lunacy

The mood at work on Monday night was such that I would have bet $$$ that the moon was full. Occasionally when I am having an unusually weird shift I'll ask other dealers for their perception. There is not always a consensus as to the temperment of the room as a whole. Last night, however, every dealer I asked had the same response. LUNACY! Can we blame it on the moon? Who knows. What I DO know is that I just looked up the lunar cycle and the moon will be at it's fullest just a few hours after midnight tonight. It should be interesting at work tonight ............

I've come to a conclusion. For some people, playing too much poker makes them grumpy. I often wonder what some of our players do for fun. It sure-as-shit can't be playing poker.

I can't speak for others, but there have been times that a player was pushing me to my absolute limits and I just grinned and beared it. Why do I put up with it sometimes? Because the player pushing my buttons is the proverbial fish at the table. I've experienced this from both sides of the table. I've played in games with a player who by all rights should have been asked to pick up his chips and leave. Invariably, for brief periods, this player has huge stacks of chips. When a floorman comes to baby sit the table, all kinds of whispers take place imploring the floorman to let the guy stay. Everyone wants a chance to get their chips back from the barely tolerable player. It is interesting as a player in this type of game to watch the dealer to see how he or she handles the situation. Most understand exactly what is going on and face it like troopers. Others simply want the offending player GONE and GONE NOW. I'm not saying that allowing this behavior to continue is good for the game as a whole, and I'm not saying that 86ing the guy on the spot is the right thing either. Is it fair to ask a dealer to put up with it at least until this guy loses most of the chips in front of him and then cut him off?
Just food for thought if you are inclined think...................

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter Listed on BlogShares