Tuesday, May 03, 2005

When it rains, it pours...................

Ok y'all, sing along.

Shitty shitty bang bang
Shitty shitty bang bang
Shitty shitty bang bang, shitty shitty day

It all started on the third table I dealt today. It was a little $2-4 limit HE game. There were 5 people at the showdown. I saw a pair of deuces, I saw a pair of 6s, I saw a pair of 8s and I saw a couple of high card hands. I killed 4 hands and I pushed the pot to the pair of 8s. I gathered the cards and began to shuffle for the next hand. The guy in the 9 seat asked what won? I stated that a pair of 8s took the pot. He said he had a pair of aces. At this point about 4 people chimed in that he indeed had a pair of aces. FLOOR!, I said. Where the hell are the table captains when you really need them, like BEFORE the pot is pushed, I think. The lady who had received the pot was very understanding and gave the pot to the 9s. The floor gave the lady $10 for her troubles. Everyone is happy right? Yep, everyone but me. I HATE making dumb mistakes. Like a snowball giving in to gravity, that was just the beginning.
My next blunder, tame in comparison, came during a $2-5 blind NL game. When dealing to Tom D. in the 3 seat, his second card did a little flutter. He said it was a heart. I replaced the card which was indeed a 10h. When this happens, I always dread the flop. Almost invariably, I will flop a card of the same rank as the exposed card. Not this time. Tom stated that he liked neither the exposed card or it's replacement. No major harm done.
Later in the night at a $4-8 HE game on table 3 I missed a kill pot. I announced that it was a kill pot, but no one listened, including me. A ton of people called the normal bb before someone mentioned that it should have been a kill pot. Again, no table captains came to my rescue in time. Oh well, we just played a kill pot on the next hand. Several at the table had never seen that done before, but the kill is played on the next possible hand.
During the same 30 minute down on table 3 I burned and turned too soon. There were 4 players. Player 1 bet, two others called and the 4th sat silent as I brought in the bets, announced three players, tapped the table and burned and turned. Only THEN did he speak up. I KNOW that I screwed up, but dammit, players have some responsiblility when they play too.
To put it mildly, I struggled through the shift.
When I got a 1hr. EO did I go screaming out of the poker room? Hell no! I jumped into the game on table 3. Actually I sat at table two for a few hands until a seat opened on table 3. This table had 4 dealers in the players seat. All of the dealer/players except myself were doing shots and having the time of their lives. Expensive times! When in Rome..... One pre-flop raise was called by everyone. The dealer called out ONLY TEN PLAYERS. Maybe you had to be there, but it was hysterical. Mark, the drunkest dealer of them all decided that any two cards deserved to be raised. And so it went. I can honest say that from a dealers perspective, it had to be the best game in town. The average toke/pot was around $5 and for several hours Mark decided that $10 per winning hand would be his gold standard. When I left, Mark still had several racks in front of him. It reminded me of a player who once told me that "You never go broke giving it away". Listen up all you poker players. This should become your new mantra.
I escaped that game with a $45 win.

I hope that I made a years worth of dumb mistakes tonight and that I don't have to call a floor person to my game in about a thousand years. Focus, Wayne, FOCUS!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter Listed on BlogShares