Friday, March 24, 2006

Smoke 'em if you've got 'em


As of yesterday the Palms Poker Room once again allows smoking 24/7. Sort of.
We have two distinct poker rooms. This is unique to the Palms and I'm not aware of any other LV poker room that is structured this way. Historically, the no limit games have been spread in one room and the limit games have been spread in the other room. The two rooms are separated by a hallway which leads to the rest rooms. It is my understanding that one room will be designated smoking and the other non-smoking--regardless of the type of game. Currently, smoking is allowed in what was previously our limit room. If there are 7-10 people that want to play NL on the smoking side, and a table is available, voila, a smoking NL game. Conversely, if the $2-4 players want a non-smoking game, and a table is available, then a non-smoking game will take place in what was formerly the NL room. I believe that this is a reasonable "compromise" even if it will require a little more creativity on the part of the list keeper.
Just like in a restaurant, you may be asked if you want smoking, non-smoking or first available.
Of course as a dealer, there is no compromising. You'll be required to deal in both rooms. As a smoker, I'll be the first to admit that it does become a little overwhelming when 8 players at a table are all smoking. The 1 and 10 seat will still be designated as non-smoking seats even if it is in the smoking-allowed room.
*****************

I now know variance intimately. During my last two poker sessions, which have totaled 4.5 hours, I have managed to win exactly one third of one pot. Look out when this turns around! IF it ever does turn around.
*****************
I've written before about "Tip Shills" and how they can be a double edged sword. On one hand it is nice to have a player that will gently remind players, many who are not B&M poker room veterans, that it is customary to toke your dealer. On the other hand, it can be embarassing.
Today, as I was dealing a $4-8 limit game a guy in the 4s toked me a quarter (25 cent quarter). I thanked him (of course) and dropped the quarter. The guy in the 6s (I had never seen either of these guys before) goes apeshit on the 4s. Something about Mickey D's employees making more than dealers, you should be ashamed, etc. etc. 4s screams back at the 6s SHUT UP and MIND YOUR OWN (expletive) BUSINESS. I asked the 6s to "Let it go" and continued dealing the next hand. On that hand, I reminded the 4s that the action was on him and he snapped "DON'T RUSH ME". Honestly, I wasn't. He just wasn't one of the happiest campers.
Later as I was on table 9 a ruckus broke out on table 10. A player, who aparently wasn't involved in the hand (and had consumed a few adult beverages) announced to the whole room that the winner of an $800 pot had only given the dealer $2. He went on and on about it. I just grinned and kept on keeping on.
Besides, if anyone complains that I was getting a kick out of the toke wars, I have an out. I forgot my badge today and I assumed the alias "Jimmy".
Jimmy might have some 'splainin' to do.


I know that the degenerates among you will be disappointed that you missed this event, but.....
Who dreams up this stuff?
Hot-Chick-Beer-Bong "Sucking"?
Only at the Palms.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter Listed on BlogShares