Thursday, March 31, 2005

My new surroundings........

The old Buick LeSabre logged it's 100,000th mile this morning. It has been a great vehicle and I certainly hope that it has another 20-30,000 miles left in her. I have not had a car payment for about 2 years and I hate the thought of having them again.

*********
My new place is satisfactory in every way and each day it become a little more like home. No not the home of my youth, but my current home. No place will ever be like HOME, but until I someday return to the "homeplace" I think that this place will do just fine. I can't believe how much stuff I have accumulated in a year and a half. My goal is to go though everything and weed out the non-essentials, but I know in my heart that everything that I have packed away was saved for a reason, as trivial as that reason may be. At least I have a ton of closet space in the new place.

Last Saturday found me scoping out the furniture at Sticks & Stuff in Henderson. I found a dinette set that I wanted and told the salesman that I would return as soon as I could round up a truck. Linda to the rescue. Although she was "time stresses" she dropped what she was doing and transported the furniture for me. I have been juggling the move with work all week and was not able to unbox/assemble anything until Monday night. Guess what? They gave me the wrong chairs. I still have not made it back out there to make the exchange but I did call them and told them of the error of their ways..........
Tuesday morning found me strapping my mattress and box springs to the top of the buick with bungy cords for the 12 mile trek across town. I had my doubts that I had it attached securely enough, but the bed and I both made the trip in one piece, never exceeding 30 mph.
All that remains to be moved is the desk and all of it's contents. Target date Saturday. I would also like to buy and transport a sofa on that day and call the major components of this move complete.

*************

Things at work have been S-L-O-W. I am not sure if the opening of the MGM room this week has had a major impact or if much of it could be contributed to the fact that it is the end of the month. A large portion of our day-time players are locals who, how shall I put this..... let's just say that they receive a senior discount and get a monthy allowance from Uncle Sam.
Things have been so good and balls-to-the-wall for so long that this anomaly on the radar screen has dealers at our place a little cranky. Your spot in the line-up becomes that much more important and EOs that used to be a welcomed respite now seem to be looked upon as some sort of sadistic punishment. We all know that come WSOP time that we will have all that we can handle, but most of us are just looking at the short term situation.
Yesterday I had the pleasure of dealing to Joy who is a poker dealer at the Mirage. I had never dealt to her before and she had only dealt to me once, althought she did not remember it. She was playing at the Palms with her grandson who was celebrating his 21st birthday. The reason that I vividly remembered her was that I was impressed with her when she dealt to me. The day that I played at the Mirage, not many dealers struck me that way, so yesterday I complimented her. She seemed to truly appreciate the kudos.
On Tueday night there was one particular player who was especially UGLY to deal to. The buzz in the poker break room was that he was indeed a poker dealer across the street. Unbelievable that a fellow dealer could be that disruptive, unpleasant and, to put it bluntly, frugal. We were all conspiring to get together and go play in one of HIS games.......devious, but it just ain't gonna happen.

*************

I'm off to Albertson's to start laying in provisions.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter Listed on BlogShares