Saturday, December 03, 2005

Fantasy Camp Update

Yesterday was a looong (11.5 hours) but fun work day.
The dealers were told to report at Noon. Around 11:45 we were informed that the dealer meeting would be held at 12:50. Whatever would a bunch of dealers do to kill an hour? Get a key and open a table, that what. The regular players in our room were chomping at the bit to get into that game, let me tell you. It has been said that for a poker player heaven is a table full of white (purple and black in our case) shirts. I lost about $60 on the first hand I played. I had AJ and the flop was AQJ. I rode it hard only to find that Nancy had KT. I managed to book a $25 win in spite of that and off to the Fantasy Camp we went.......
There were around 180 people in the first tournament. They played down to 9 and will finish today at 1PM. When the tables started breaking, the sit-n-gos fired up. The unique thing about these sngs was that the 5 seat was reserved for a pro. Players could inquire as to the thought process of the pros immediatly after the hand. Players could also get a critique of how they played the hand. It was very interesting. Phil G. was dressed as a doctor complete with white lab coat & stethescope. He carried a prescription pad and would write a prescription/diagnosis when a player did something " bad". It was hilarious. I know that I picked up a few things just by watching these interactions/critiques. Although the pros bought in to the SNGs with their own money, and I would say that they were playing to win, it was a relaxed atmosphere and a unique opportunity for the camp participants to interact with their "idols".
I'll probably miss one or two, but here are some of the pros who played. Howard & Annie (of course), Freddy D., Marcel L., Michael G., Andy B., Clonie G., Huck S. and Phil G. Robert Thompson directed the SNGs and Matt Savage took charge of the tournaments. It was a well run event.
There was another, smaller tournament for about 40 players at 8PM. This was a UB/Annie sponsored event with the top prize being a $12,000 package to the 2006 WSOP.

The weirdest thing that happened to me was during the first tournament. I raced off the quarters. No problems, right? Well about 5-6 hands later, I looked over at the 7seat and the guy had a stack of green in front of him!? Don't even ask me how that happened. I was simply baffled. Fortunately he didn't have an odd amount of chips.

While dealing to a table that had Annie on it, I asked her why she didn't play at the Palms more often and mentioned that she hadn't played there since the 2004 WSOP. She put me in my place and asked me if I was crazy........She stated that she played $2-4 limit at the Palms about 2 weeks ago. I guess I was off that night as I certainly would have noticed Annie Duke playing at our lowest limit table.

I had hopped that Suzie Ledered would somehow be involved with the festivities. I asked Howard if she would be stopping by. He said that the 5 Diamond was in full swing at the Bellagio and that she couldn't get away from her obligations there.

I need to be back at work in 2 hours. I hope that today is as fun as yesterday. Shorter, but just as fun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter Listed on BlogShares