Thursday, February 23, 2006

Do you need a fork?

Last Tuesday I was invited to eat at Chang's, a new Asian restaurant inside Palace Station. When we arrived, the rest of our party had already ordered. As I looked at the menu Jules informed me that if I wanted anything special, go ahead and order it, but otherwise, there was more than enough food ordered and that it would be served so that we could all share. Indeed, there was a large "lazy susan" in the middle of the table. The food started coming and it seemed like the endless stream of food would never end. The turn table whirled and we grabbed what we wanted. Pekin duck, lobster, shrimp, sea bass, etc etc.
Of the seven people seated at the table, I was one of two non-Asians. There was no silverware on the table. No problem. I had an "aunt" Mieko" who was Japanese and who had taught me to use chop sticks as a child. Granted, I don't use them often, but I wouldn't starve if every fork on the planet suddenly disappeared. In any case, as I was attempting to pick up and eat a green bean my first two attempts failed. On the third attempt I got the green bean in my mouth. The young Asian lady to my left jokingly asked if I need a fork. I told her that a fork would not be necessary. About 5 minutes later she dropped a shrimp. As she picked it up on her second attemp I blurted out "Do YOU need a fork?". Maybe you had to be there, but it was hilarious.
The food was delicious and the company was delightful. The fact that it was compliments of Palace Station made it that much sweeter. I also learned that it was not wise to play low limit poker with someone who regularly bets $500 per hand at bacarrat. Only $8 to call? Peanuts. $16? $24? Chickenfeed. She's not going to lay a hand down come hell or high water....and she "gets there". You have been warned.
*****

$16 Million
3 Days
Unbelievable
What a coup for Wynn to have hosted this game. Michael Craig has posted that Mr. Beal had no quarrel with the poker room staff at Bellagio. I have to wonder who/what pissed him off enough to have bypassed Bellagio for these matches. It has also been posted that when he (Beal) initially contacted Wynn he asked for and received the standard room rate for poker players. On the surface it doesn't seem that he would be too difficult/demanding. For want of a nail, the shoe was lost........................
OR
He just wanted to eliminate the "home court" syndrome. No one seems to have considered this possibility.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter Listed on BlogShares