Sunday, February 12, 2006

Decisions, decisions.

There will never be universal and standard rules and regulation in every poker room on the planet. I don't even think that standardized rules would be beneficial. Each room has wrinkles that dictate variations. What I would expect is that, within each room, the rules would be understood and applied evenly. Two situations arose today that flew in the face of my expectations. The first situation concerned the kill button when a side pot was in play and the other situation involved "buying the button". In over 25 months, I think I have only weathered some flack twice with regards to the kill button/side pot issue. I have always viewed the kill button as being "off" and out of play when there was at least one side pot and different players won the side and main pot. Today, as I placed the kill button in my rack after a side pot situation, one of the players emphatically stated that the kill button must stay with the "main" pot regardless of side pots. The player who won the main pot did not win the subsequent pot, so it was a moot point. Out of curiosity, I called the floorman and asked the question. His answer was that indeed the button was to be delivered with the main pot. A few hours later I asked another floorperson the same question and got the answer I expected. One pot=kill button, more than one pot takes the kill button off.
Sigh.
An hour or so later I was informed by a player that he was buying the button. I said Jim, you know you can't buy the button in this house. In the 25 months that I have worked there it has never been allowed. He smirked and stated that the rule was changed today and that he was buying the button. FLOOR. Of course the floorperson informed me that Jim could buy the button. Very big sigh. I can't stand learning of changes from the players. It makes me look like an idiot and makes me wonder about a lot of things......
Such is life. Adapt and roll with the punches.
******

The days of the Palms spreading predominently only $2-4 & $4-8 limit and $2-5 blind NL seem to be over. The fact that we aren't completely full lately has freed up tables to experiment with. We always had the occasional $5-10 or $10-25 NL but recently I've seen $5-5 blind NL, $1-2 blind NL, and $3-6 limit. I wish we had the demand for games other than hold 'em, but it is rare that anyone evan asks about stud or omaha. Maybe I should be careful of what I wish for. I still think a mixed game would be good for the room, but without demand there will be no game. I think if we pushed a slightly larger limit game that it would go as well, but it takes all shifts working from the same page and pushing the game.
*******

The keno machines have not been kind lately. Give a little bit and take back a lot more. One day I will learn what I already know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter Listed on BlogShares