Sunday, November 19, 2006

Crash

On Saturday, as usual, I'm minding my own business as I drive the whole one mile to work. As I'm sitting at a red light at the corner of Arville and Flamingo (Northwest corner of the Palms property) I hear the screaming of brakes. There isn't even time to look in the mirror before I'm slammed into from behind.
I just sat there shaking my head and wondering how bad it was. The guy from the car that hit me walks up to my window, asks if I am alright, and tells me that there isn't any damage to either car. I tell him that there has to be considering how hard she (the driver--thankfully insured) hit me.
I get out and to my surprise there is hardly a visible scratch on my rear bumper. I have no idea if there is any hidden damage but I intend to have it checked out. Physically I'm a little "tight" but the worst of it either hasn't set in or it isn't going to be an issue. Time will tell.



I have to believe that the powers that be at WYNN including it's namesake underestimated the will and determination of their dealers and that of other dealers around this town and the country for that matter.
Although I still talk to dealers who haven't even heard that there is a contentious situation at WYNN I believe that most have, by now, been informed of the details.
Two different unions are now investigating the possibility of unionizing dealers. A formal picket is scheduled for Nov 24. I have mixed feelings toward unions in general and I reserve judgement in this matter for now.

What I DO take issue with is this statement clipped from the wynndealers.com site:
http://www.wynndealers.com/

"How are the poker dealers so different? They get to keep all of their own tips, don't share with supervisors, and get the cash everyday without having WYNN'S people collect it, count it, and wait for a check."


For the record, most of us do share our tips with our supervisors/cashiers
but not because it's mandatory. The degree of sharing is based on how they
do their job. Customers tip us based on how we do our job and we toke out based
on how others do their job.
This arrangement sound like a reasonable situation to me.


Damnit. Yes, the paradigm is changing, but poker dealers have always been a different animal of a different color. I believe that the Wynn fight can be fought on it's own merits without clouding the water with poker dealer issues. And for that matter, if you are dragging everyone into the fray, why stop at poker dealers? Don't waitresses and bartenders and servers and doormen and limo drivers and room attendants keep their own too? The objective of this fight is to REVERSE Wynn's decision, not apply it to everyone else.

Green is such an ugly color sometimes.

Eventually I believe that we (poker dealers) will have locked toke boxes just like everyone else for a variety of reasons. This Wynn fiasco doesn't have to be the issue that drives us over the edge.....but it might be.



Yesterday I push in on table 9. The young man in the 1s tells me that I wrote about him.
(There are times that I wish I had started an annonymous blog. There are players that deserve to have the true and honest truth told about them. It's a fine line that I try not to cross. )
At this point I'm wondering who/what/when. He reminds me of what he had written on his hand way back then. At that point I remembered him and his Patience from 18 months ago.
I asked if he had any issues with it and how he found it. He said that a friend had googled his name and came across the post. He had no issues with it and had even somehow incorporated the post into his press release kit.
Interesting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter Listed on BlogShares