Monday, October 02, 2006

Aruba 2006

I can't say enough good things about UltimateBet. They know how to throw a party and take care of their players and dealers.

Of course a huge part of the praise belongs to Suzie Lederer the dealer coordinator.
Love ya, Suzie!








The flights to and from Aruba, including the long layovers in Miami both ways were brutal, but that's the price you pay when traveling to paradise. Leaving Aruba is particularly painful. The line to the American Airlines counter was perhaps 200 people long and that was only the beginning. After "checking" your luggage with the airline you have to go through Aruban customs, have your carry-ons scanned, claim your luggage, cart it through US Customs, recheck your luggage, and then go through another scanning process with your carry-on items.
In spite of all this I still managed to keep my cigarette lighter. Go figure.



I couldn't help but notice that a large number of players were very young. The laws on the island of Aruba allow those under 21 the free will to choose to play poker. I have to wonder why we have so many laws in the US that are designed to "protect us from ourselves". Land of the free............







On this trip I had the opportunity to deal to a legendary gambler for several hours. I saw Bob Stupak walk into the tournament area perhaps 30 minutes after the start of a $1,000 event. I asked the 1s, a 20ish kid, if he knew if Bob was playing in the event or just walking through. The 1s stated that he didn't know the answer to my question. In fact, he had no idea who Bob Stupak was. HUH? Incredible. Then again, I love the history of gambling and the characters that give life to said history.
I was outside during a bread smoking and talking to Ron, a fellow dealer. Bob walked out and asked Ron and I how we got here (Aruba). I assumed that he wanted to know how we managed to get a dealing gig in paradise. Ron blurted out that we came here on a plane as opposed to a slow boat to Aruba. Indeed, Bob was interested in modes of travel and not the logistics of landing the gig. It seems the high humidity was making it difficult for Bob to breathe and he wanted to get off of the island and back to the desert heat of Las Vegas. He was not having any luck in getting a flight and mentioned that no one could help him until the AM. I casually said that I could think of worse places to be stuck. Without missing a beat Bob said "I can't think of any right now". Maybe you had to be there, but it was really comical.
Bob made it deep into the event and was among the 7 that ended up chopping at around 5:30AM. Sipu and I, the two dealers that stayed to finish the event, were greatful that a chop was decided upon. Otherwise, with 7 players with relatively even stacks, this event could have dragged on for several more hours.
I appreciated the opportunity to deal to a bonified "character" of the poker world.














As I write this I'm not sure that I'll participate in this event next year. Then again, it will be hard to give it up. Once you get "in", you are basically invited back unless to screw up royally. There is a long list of dealers waiting to take your place next year. Rightfuly so. It's the best dealing gig in the world and I am thankful to Suzie and UltimateBet for the opportunity.
Of course Linda deserves thanks as well. She was my "in" in the first place.
Thanks Linda!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter Listed on BlogShares