Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Gaming in Barton Maryland 1926


I recently acquired an old book detailing the town ordinances of Barton, Maryland circa 1926.

I read with fascination the restrictions pertaining to the location of outhouses, the butchering of animals and where you could or could not tie your horse/buggy.

Being the gambler that I am I was particularly interesting the section that addressed Gaming. First of all it is noteworthy that it was referred to as Gaming and not Gambling. Some would assume that the Gaming terminology was rather recent and a product of Nevada attempting to reclassify the practice into recreation for the ordinary citizen. A de-demonizing of sorts. Obviously not so.

If Linda ever finishes Roll the Bones I'll try to find references in it relating to the Gaming/Gambling debate.

Additionally, cock fighting is not included in the gaming ordinances. Most certainly cock fights included a large amount of gambling. I never had the "pleasure" of witnessing a cock fight but I've heard many tales of them in and around my hometown. My dad recently admitted to being the culprit in the demise of one or two of these fighting birds .... but that's a story for another day.

I have been witness to a few pigeon shoots/matches. To call these barbaric would be too kind. Incidentally, quite a bit of money changes hands during one of these matches.

I would be willing to wager that many of the ordinances of 1926 are still "on the books". When I next visit home I'll try to locate a copy of the current town ordinances for comparison.










































0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter Listed on BlogShares