Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Hindsight, Big Blinds and Sam Angel

Today was the end of my first week of full time poker dealing. I now realize that 4 days of dealing was plenty. Oh well, I made my bed and I'll sleep in it for awhile. I did get a 2 hour EO tonight so my weekend started just a tad early.

As I was dealing on table one, there was a full figured woman in seat one. She has been playing a good bit lately and I have chatted with her a few times about playing Pan and Big 2. On the first hand I dealt, she was the $2 blind but did not realize it. I reached out and took 2 blues from her stack and put it out for her blind. She thanked me and said that she was always forgetting when it was her blind. The next time it was her $2 blind she had some notion that it might be her turn to pay a blind. She asked if it was her blind and I stated, innocently enough, that yes, YOU ARE BIG. She immediately jumped on that and said that she KNEW she was a big woman but I didn't need to call her BIG. She was laughing as she said it and the whole table had a chuckle at my expense. As I was getting pushed, it was her large blind again. As I got up I told her that due to her positional situation she was required to place two blue chips in front of her. I left the table with both of us laughing.

As I was leaving the room I noticed Sam Angel hanging around. I knew that he had a couple of WSOP Razz bracelets from way back but I wasn't sure if he had 2 or 3 bracelets. I decided to see if I could make an old man happy by taking him on a trip down memory lane so I said Hey Sam, do you have two or three WSOP bracelets. He motioned for me to step out of the poker room. Once outside I repeated my question. ONLY two was his reply. I said, Sam, you say ONLY two like it is nothing. End of the pleasantries. He reached into his pocket and pulled out a bracelet. No, not one of THOSE bracelets. He asked me if I wanted to buy a "costume" (the word junk comes to mind, but I am trying to be nice) bracelet for only $10. I said no, I wasn't interesting in buying any jewelry from him. He called me a fucking prick and mumbled something about how broke he was. He then pulled out another bracelet and said $10 for both of them. I again declined. He said that the two cost him $15, but I could have them for $10. Again I declined this golden opportunity for a bargain. I walked away with him mumbling about being broke........

For the record, he has two RAZZ bracelets.

Sam Angel - WSOP victories
Year 1975
Event Seven Card Razz
Winner Sam Angel
Prize Money $17,000

Year 1973
Event Seven Card Razz
Winner Sam Angel
Prize Money $32,000

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter Listed on BlogShares