Monday, September 19, 2005

Blue Chips are "Unlucky"

One of our players subscribes to this philosophy. He is an incredible toker as well as a very nice person. I guess those two qualities tend to go hand-in-hand. In any case, he will give the dealer ALL of the blue chips that are in any pot that he wins. In my case, I have resisted the temptation to load the pot with blue chips whenever he is in the game. I have even gone so far as to NOT make his small blind correct before dealing. Obviously, he is going to post the $2 blind with a $5 chip since he has NO blues in his stack. If I make the blind correct before dealing, he will throw the $3 change to me. (My standard procedure is to change it up, before dealing, if a player posts the small blind with red instead of two blues. Most dealers don't do this either out of convenience, laziness or both. I like the blinds to look like the correct blinds.) I put the same number of blues in every NL pot. Enough singles to facilitate the rake as well as a few to facilitate toking if the player so chooses. Two nights ago I watched in semi-horror as one dealer pushed "George" a pot that contained at least 20 blues. Like clockwork, he sorted the blues and pushed them to the dealer. I turned and walked away shaking my head. It was more than a little embarrassing. Shame has left the building..........

On Saturday I dealt to a guy who was a dealer from Harrah's New Orleans. He said that Harrah's basically paid for him to relocate here. He said he had a house(or what was left of a house) in NO and that he would have to go back to meet with the adjusters, but he didn't think that he would ever live there again. Enough is enough I guess..........

I don't even pretend to understand it, but sometime between 8-10AM tomorrow a repairman is scheduled to visit my humble abode. My high speed cable internet stared flaking out about 5 days ago. It comes and goes with no rhyme or reason. I can't even revert to dial-up since I don't have a home phone. I finally called customer service. Tier 1 support had me jump through all the hoops at least twice before he gave up and escalated the issue to Tier 2. It took tier 2 about 2 minutes to tell me it was a problem with the wiring--not in the modem/computer or in the lines outside the house, but somewhere IN the house. He stressed that there "may" be service charge depending on what they find. Like I said, I don't understand it at all. The cable to the TV works fine and if my computer connects to the internet intermittently, why would it decide to pop off-line from time to time. I would think that if the cable was bad, it would be bad all the time. Maybe there is a chip munk (if we even HAVE chipmunks in LV) jiggling the wires?? Just goes to show you how illiterate I am when it comes to technology(and wildlife). Hell, I don't even understand how a CORDED phone works, let alone a cell phone. I do know that when I want to be online, I want to be online, so whatever the cost, I can't live without internet.

Aruba looms closer and closer and I can't seem to get too excited about it.....yet. One day at a time I guess. I still have to work tomorrow afternoon, then full speed ahead with the packing and preparation.

1 Comments:

Blogger the wolf said...

Could it be that your cable modem is farked? You should be able to tell if it's getting a signal when the connection goes out. I'm surprised they would leap to the conclusion that it's wiring in your house. That doesn't make any sense. Then again, what do I know?

9:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter Listed on BlogShares