Saturday, December 31, 2005

Happy New Year....





I'm back from a 9 day visit to home in Western Maryland. This was my 40th xmas and I've been fortunate enough to have spent all but one of them with my family. The nostalgia was palpable. Nearly every ornament on the tree told a story. Some of these ornaments have hung on the tree since my mother was a child. The train ran circles under the tree just as it has for each of the last 40 years. My old Lionel sits in box awaiting repairs and has been temporarily replaced by a more modern version.
David, my 4.5 year old nephew added some drama and allowed me to see this time of year through the eyes of an innocent child who still believes. This child has multiple santas. When asked how many toys he has, his reply is often "too many". Conspicuous consumption be damned. I took him shopping two days before the 25th and gave him instructions to point to what he wanted. Of course I ran the risk of duplilcating what santa may have already loaded on his sleigh. So be it.
He and I embarked on the project of making a snow tunnel. Once complete he crawled through and shreeked YIPPEE! Ah, the simple pleasures.


This is a child after my own heart. For his 5th birthday he wants to come to Las Begas (his pronounciation) and have a Poker Chip Party.




I've already placed some coins on my window ledge so that fortune and prosperity will come with the new year.

My resolutions are:
No Slots 2006
Drop 20 pounds
See at least six shows in 2006. O, Elton, etc.


I'm headed to work in an hour. After work it's off to Linda's for one last card party in her "old" home. While the rest of humanity will be revelling in the debauchery of the LV Strip, I'll be quietly bringing in 2006 among good friends. Life could be worse.

Wherever you are or however you celebrate, I wish everyone the best in the coming year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter Listed on BlogShares