Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Looking for Lady Luck

I can't seem to win. I'll leave it at that......

I spent the better part of the day playing some form of cards. I hit the Hard Rock because I had a $20 food comp that needed using. I decided to park in their garage because it was so hot and I wanted to avoid a 200 degree car when I came out. The thermometer in the old Buick still registered 113 in the shade when I got back to the car. The HR has an automated player tracking system with a touch screen at the table. The screen was tilted so that I, in the last seat of a Let it Ride table, could see it. It had all kinds of info on it such as the table drop for the current shift. The pit boss saw me looking at the screen and came flying over and slammed the screen in the other direction while saying that the screen was used to make sure that I got credit for my play. I said, yes, I know that part, but there is a LOT of other interesting info on it too. He was not amused. He was snorting and huffing about all sorts of things. When he got out of earshot I told the dealer that the pit boss needed to take a happy pill. The dealer said that the pit boss was stressed. STRESSED? I said. On a Wednesday afternoon with a pit full of mostly empty tables? If that is stress, he needs to find another job. HR: one black chip. Me: Didley

Off to the Hilton for some 21. A fairly pleasant 2-3 hours that found me dead even. Can't argue with that.

I then decided to head all the way down to the Silverton. I had never been there before and wanted to check out their poker room. The decor is nice enough in the Silverton, but I got a strange claustrophobic sensation while walking to the poker room. Once in the poker room, that sensation did not abate. The room is small and there are 5 tables crammed into the space. There is little to no room to move between the tables. The space issue was my only major complaint. Other small issues were with the inexperience of the dealers. Hey, we've all been there, so I'm not saying that simply being inexperienced is a major negative. The wrinkles sould iron out in time. I was in the 10s and was trying to offer some helpful advice. I wouldn't say that it was received graciously. "We don't allow that here" was the answer I got from two different dealers on two different debates. They didn't say that they would call the floor for clarification, just NO. I didn't want to yell FLOOR myself, so I waited a few minutes and talked with the floorman while on the way to smoke a cig. The first situation involved a player with a missed blind button wanting to come back in with an $8 staddle one off of the big blind. The dealer said no. The second situation was when the BB from the previous hand (9s)racked up and left. I would have been the next BB had he not quit, but he quit. There were three empty seats between the previous SB (5s) and the previous BB (9s). A new player sat in the 6s and wanted to post the BB. The dealer said that since the previous BB had been the 9s and the new player was in the 6s and the button was now in the 5s that he could not come in until after the button because they don't allow you to come in between the blinds. I told the dealer that there was nothing to BE between since the previous BB had quit. She was having none of it, and since the table was getting too short handed for my taste I went to smoke a cig. Ben, the floorman confirmed that indeed you can straddle one off of the BB with a missed blind button and the new guy could have posted his BB. Not really earth shattering issues, but you can't get better if you don't try.
The action in the $4-8 game was borderline incredible. Ace anything meant riding it all the way to the river. Twice my pocket KK were hunted down like the dogs that they were until the A fell on the river and A3off dismissed my KK. The biggest pot I saw in about 3 hours was won by an out of position 5-2 off that cold called three bets pre-flop. That is poker as it is currently being played. Bless them.
Donkeys: One Black and two Green. Me: Didley (starting to think that I may the jack ass)
After enduring all of the poker torture I could take for the day I started to head for the car only to be sidetracked by a PaiGow table. There was one other guy at the table as I walked up to the table. The previous hand was complete and I threw some cash on the table. Instead of giving me check change, the dealer delivered the cards for the next hand. I nearly had a stroke as I thought SHE thought that Money Plays. Nope, she just chose to ignore me for one more hand.
A few hands in I had a brain fart. I had 10, 10, joker, 2 and three other cards that I don't remember. I set the hand with 10,10 up and what amounted to A high in the back. The funny thing is that I must have thought I was playing some mutant form of Big2PaiGow and I thought I had a pair of 2s since 2s are the highest card in Big2 and I could use the joker with the 2 for highest pair. DUH, DUH and DUH. I don't think that I have ever before set a fouled hand in Pai Gow. As it turns out, had I set the hand correctly I would have won, so the dealer took pity and paid me anyway. I threw her a red bird and decided that it would be wise to just go home.
When I got in the car, the old Buick's climate control system still registered a toasty 102 degrees and it was just after 11PM.
On the way home I hit the Jack in the Box drive through. They had a sign in the window that said something like "We are using this low-tech non electric sign because we like to conserve energy--Jack" I guess Jack doesn't give a shit about conserving water because his irrigation system was doing a great job of watering the parking lot.......


Maybe the Luck Fairy will visit me while I slumber. What does one place under his pillow to attract that bitch? I'll try placing a deck of cards under my pillow tonight and let you all know if it worked.

Good Night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter Listed on BlogShares